You’re in for a rude awakening if you think single-speed mountain bikes are only reserved for disheveled mechanics.
Irrespective of your cycling prowess, single speed-mountain bikes are fun for everyone. Stripped away of excess gear equipment, you can expect a heavy workout from a single-speed mountain bike.
It’s true that without the gears making your life easy, you’ll need to concentrate on other factors to get through the tough trails. For instance, you’ll have to read the trails superbly, concentrate on your cycling technique, and exert power as never before to pedal through.
A few sessions with the best single speed mountain bikes and you´ll come out of those grueling spells a much-improved mountain biker. This type of bike will provide you with the purest form of mountain biking.
Single-speed full suspension bikes are best for beginners looking to understand the chief principles of mountain biking and seasoned veterans searching for a challenge.
There are other benefits to owning single-speed mountain bikes too.
They’re easier to maintain because of the lack of a complex gear system, much cheaper than other bikes with gears, and are capable of providing a quiet smooth ride even in the harshest of conditions. Plus, the money you save from purchasing a single-speed bicycle on discount can be used to upgrade other important bike components.
Now, there are many singlespeeds available on the market, and choosing between them can be an arduous task. For your convenience, I’ve shortlisted some of the best single-speed MTBs you can get your hands on.
- At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Single Speed Mountain Bikes
- Top 5 Best Single Speed Mountain Bikes – Our Reviews:
At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Single Speed Mountain Bikes
If you’re in a hurry, you can jump straight into our top picks (these are the single-speed MTBs that most people buy).
- Swobo Mutineer Single Speed Mountain Bike Top Pick
- Nashbar Single-Speed 29” Mountain Bike Runner-up
- State Bicycle Co Pulsar Deluxe Single Speed Mountain Bike Runner-up
Top 5 Best Single Speed Mountain Bikes – Our Reviews:
1. Swobo Mutineer Single Speed Mountain Bike
Constructed of a 60610 aluminum frame and with a suspension-corrected segmented steel fork, the Swobo Mutineer Bicycle is durable enough to handle even the toughest of trails.
Also, with a bike geometry designed to excel on any type of trail, you can expect to get your money’s worth with the Swobo Mutineer Mountain Bicycle. This bike doesn´t fit your “city bike” image by any stretch of the imagination; it has been designed purely to handle the abuse of difficult tracks.
Some notable features of the Swobo Mutineer Mountain Bicycle include an urban one speed on the free-hub, belt consistent dropout, and powerful BB7 disc brakes. Plus, you can expect a 27. 5″ wheel size on the bike.
The fact that the bike is extremely easy to assemble only adds to its charm, too.
Regrettably, the Swobo Mutineer Fixed Gear Mountain Bike Single Speeds are only available for purchase in two different colors: black and pink.
- One of the best single-speed mountain bikes in terms of pricing
- Powerful BB7 mechanical disc brakes for the rider´s safety
- Durable frame construction
- Well-performing suspension fork
- Provides excellent ride
- Only available in two different colors: black and pink
2. Nashbar Single-Speed 29” Mountain Bike
The Nashbar Single-Speed 29” Mountain Bike features a 6061 aluminum framework construction that isn’t only lightweight beyond belief but also durable enough to withstand the harshest weather conditions.
There are many components of the fixed gear Nashbar bike that impress me, but none as much as the firm chromoly fork integrated into the front end of the bike. The chromoly fork does an exceptional job of absorbing shock and vibrations felt on rough terrains.
I’m also a big fan of the bike’s 29” wheels and WTB Nano Sport tires that provide outstanding traction features, especially at corners.
For a mountain bike to be considered safe for use, it must sport powerful brakes.
Thankfully, this hardtail mountain bike has been equipped with reliable and powerful disc brakes. With this bike, you won’t have to worry about losing control on the slopes.
Riders from all corners of the world with varying riding styles can stand to gain a great deal from using the Nashbar Single-Speed 29” Mountain Bike. This bike is one of the best choices for cross-country riding.
- Chrome forked front suspension can absorb shocks and vibrations with ease
- WTB Nano Sport tires provide plenty of traction
- Rigid, rust-proof, and lightweight aluminum framework
- Provides outstanding ride
- Some of the bike components are of cheap quality
- Headset and bottom brackets aren’t as durable as you’d like
- No quick-release on the back wheel
3. State Bicycle Co Pulsar Deluxe Single Speed Mountain Bike
If you scour the web for good single speed mountain bikes, you’ll find plenty of positive reviews on the State Bicycle Co Pulsar Single Speed Bicycle, and since I’ve cycled on this bike a lot, I know exactly where these glowing reviews are coming from.
Although primarily sold as single-speed bikes, the State Bicycle Co Pulsar Mountain Bike comes equipped with additional cable guide hardware to facilitate an easy transformation to a gear bike. So, you can chop and change the gear system on this bike as per your convenience.
Other notable features on the bike include reliable 29″ wheels, durable 4130 Chromoly Steel frame construction, and RockShox Recon Silver TK-Solo Air front fork that can minimize the effects of vibrations and shocks. The avid BB7 brake system on the bike is also worth gushing over.
Lastly, let’s talk a bit about the unique design of the bike.
The makers have done a remarkable job of integrating black and white pulsar graphics on the frame. There’s also a mark stamped on the bottom bracket to improve aesthetic appeal.
- Can be transformed into a geared bike, thus giving more speed options
- Reliable BB7 braking system
- Provides excellent ride
- Durable 4130 Chromoly Steel frame construction
- Well-performing RockShox Recon Silver TK-Solo Air front fork
- Affordable price range for cash- strapped riders
- The bike components aren’t of the highest quality
5. Gravity G29 FS Single Speed Mountain Bike
It would be tough for you to find a single-speed bike as elegant as the 2014 Gravity G29 FS. Available in a variety of colors, the G29 FS is constructed of a lightweight 6061 aluminum framework.
What sets this bike apart from the rest is its Suntour 29er Lockout Fork, which allows mountain bikers to make the suspension more rigid for uphill and pavement rides with the flip of a single switch. Plus, with the fork up front doing an exceptional job of absorbing shocks and vibrations, you won’t ever find the bike wimpy or frail.
I’m also a huge admirer of the fixed-gear bike’s high-quality Tektro disc brakes.
These brakes facilitate safe riding even in the harshest of weather conditions. It also helps that the fixed-gear bike comes equipped with well-performing 29-inch wheels and tires.
Lest I forget, I must also speak glowingly about the comfortable anatomical saddle of the suspension bike. You can cycle for hours on end on the G29 FS single speeds without worrying about a sore hind at the end of your ride.
- Comfortable anatomical saddle makes long mountain biking rides as easy as a walk in the park
- This one of a kind bike has reliable and powerful Tektro disk brakes
- Suntour 29er Lockout Fork
- Durable 6061 aluminum frame construction
- Affordable price point for riders
- Solid frame
- Weighing around 30 lb, this bike is a bit too heavy for my liking
5. Mongoose Men’s Jumping Bike
Mongoose is a household name in the realm of mountain biking and you can always expect quality products from them.
Thankfully, the brand hasn’t disappointed one bit with its offering of the Mongoose Men’s Jumping Bike. This bike costs dirt cheap for the value it offers.
What I find most attractive about the Mongoose Men’s Jumping Trail Bikes is its high-quality rear linear-pull brake. You can expect powerful and consistent stopping power from the brakes, even during rides on less-than-ideal weather conditions.
Although the frame and fork have been constructed of steel, the bike is still deceptively light.
The bike geometry encourages easy handling and a comfortable riding position. The black alloy double wall wheels with the 2. 3” grippy tires are also good.
Let me also mention that the bike’s 3-piece single speed micro drive that provides similar gearing as BMX bikes.
- Easy assembly
- Tires provide enough grip and traction to riders
- Shares powerful rear linear-pull brake
- Provides the best bang for your buck
- Fantastic navigation and riding experience
- This one-of-a-kind ride is best-suited for beginners
- Needs headset and bottom bracket upgrade
We’ve finally reached the end of the article and I hope you’re already sold on the idea of owning a single-speed mountain bike.
Of course, rides on even the best single-speed mountain bikes with outstanding suspension forks can still be challenging, to say the least, but the rewards are also substantial. A single-speed mountain bike will provide you with the purest form of mountain and cross-country biking and make you a better, stronger rider.
The singlespeed options mentioned above are all excellent choices in their own right. Go for any that suits your riding style and fits your budget.
My choice is the Nashbar Single-Speed 29” Mountain Bike. What’s yours?