Unlike a standard mountain bike, fat bikes enable riders to ride even in snowy, wet, and muddy conditions; that’s the reason many lean towards acquiring fat bikes.
However, this also means that fat bikes are subjected to more mess—think mud, grime, water, and debris. Therefore, the integration of bike fenders on fat bikes is quite important.
You see, fenders may seem like a luxury you can do without.
To many, fenders simply enhance the aesthetic appeal of a bike. However, those people couldn’t be more wrong.
Fat bikes, when ridden in extreme weather conditions, will accumulate mud and debris as you wouldn’t believe, affecting the performance of the bike’s drivetrain and rear suspension.
Plus, if you ride at a frenetic pace, chances are you’ll ride into your own spatter. Now, are you prepared to take a face full of muck?
Also, God forbid if the mud gets into your eyes at a crucial moment; you may just miss your turn and go over the safety rails. Ask yourself this, is it worth the risk not to have bicycle fenders?
I’ve compiled a list of the top fat bicycle fenders (after countless hours of research and trials) money can buy.
- At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Fat Bike Fenders
- Top 5 Best Fat Bike Fenders – Our Reviews:
At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Fat Bike Fenders
If you’re in a hurry, you can jump straight into our top picks (these are the fat bike fenders that most people buy).
- Farway Bicycle Fender Kit Top Pick
- Portland Design Works Mud Shovel 6.5 Front and Rear Fender Runner-up
- SKS-Germany Fatboard Fat Bike Fender Set Runner-up
Top 5 Best Fat Bike Fenders – Our Reviews:
1. Farway Bicycle Fender Kit
The Farway Bicycle Fender Kit works exactly as advertised.
Truth be told, the fender doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles you’d find in a premium fender. Instead, it relies on its simplicity to attract customers.
Constructed of synthetic fiber plastic, the Farway fenders aren’t only lightweight but also quite durable.
I’m not saying that the Farway fenders aren’t susceptible to chips and breaks—that would be false advertising. However, they do hold up pretty well for their price point.
Now, what I love about the Farway Bike Fenders the most is the adjustability. They have a widening and lengthening design and can thus be adjusted to protect any bike with tires ranging from 20” to 26”.
Additionally, this design helps reduce wind resistance.
I also like the fact that the Farway can be tilted one way or the other to be more effective in certain situations. Plus, the fact that you don’t need a bicycle tool to do that also helps its cause.
All in all, the Farway Bicycle Fender is a worthwhile investment.
- Affordable price point
- Easy installation process
- The length and width of both the front and rear mudguards/fenders can be adjusted to your preference
- Constructed of synthetic fiber plastic; lightweight and durable
- Suitable for any type of fat tire
- Not the most durable fender on the list as it is susceptible to chips and breaks at times
2. Portland Design Works Mud Shovel 6.5 Front and Rear Fender
Portland Design Works has gotten many things right with its offering of Mud Shovel 6.5. This fender works best at providing protection against front-wheel spray.
I also like the fact that the installation process of this Portland Design Works fat bike fender/mudguard is as easy as a walk in the park. You’d simply need to mount the front fender to the down tube of your bike with the provided adjustable rubber straps (zip ties) and you’re good to go.
As for the rear fender, it attaches to the seat post securely via a strap without leaving rubber marks behind. So, if you’re looking for something compatible with your suspension fat bike, look no further than the Mud Shovel 6.5.
The manufacturers have given everything to make the Mud Shovel 6.5 as durable as possible. Constructed of flexible polypropylene, this fender can withstand substantial abuse with minimum fuss.
I also like the fact that the material can be cut down for a better fit.
Overall, these fenders will work like a charm if you ride in gunk-heavy conditions frequently.
- Compatible with both rigid and suspension bikes
- Constructed of flexible thermo-plastic polypropylene; lightweight, yet durable
- This gear/thing can be cut down for a better fit
- Extremely big, length-wise and width-wise, and is thus, suitable for any type of fat tire
- Provides good mud protection
- One for gunk-heavy conditions
- Seating post clamp faces tightening issues
3. SKS-Germany Fatboard Fat Bike Fender Set
I believe that the Fatboard Fat Tire Bike Fender Set manufactured by SKS-Germany is worth its weight in gold.
First of all, the fenders have an extremely secure fit; they don’t slip off or lose positioning even when you ride in rough terrains and horrible weather conditions. Plus, the fact that the fenders are also easy to take off only helps their cause.
Both the rear and front fenders are also extremely easy to install. To set up the front fender, you’d simply need to mount it to the down tube of your bike with the provided Velcro straps.
As for the rear fender, it features a quick-release clamp that mounts onto the seat post. Also, the rear fender has two hinges on the rear arm to facilitate a perfect fit to your bike’s geometry.
The SKS Fatboard bicycle fender set isn’t the largest fender around. However, it manages to strike the perfect balance/combination between protection and bulk, offering more than decent protection for its compact size.
Before I draw the curtains on this fender set, I must mention that I’m quite disappointed that the set only comes in one color.
- Constructed of high-quality materials
- Suitable for any type of tire
- Offers a streamlined coverage from up and down the tires
- One of the best brands for mudguards
- Priced a bit too exorbitantly for my liking
4. Planet Bike Big Buck Bike Fender Set
The Planet Bike Big Buck Bike Fender Set is quite sought-after on the market for its stellar performance.
Both the front and rear fenders perform an exemplary job of protecting the rider and the bike from front- and back-wheel spray, ensuring an extremely clean overall bike ride.
Installing the Planet Bike Buck Fenders onto your bike also comes easy. The front fender easily mounts onto the lower part of the steer tube via a quick-release mount while the rear fender is adjusted to the seating post.
I must also mention that the rear fender comes with an adjustable hinged arm to ensure a perfect fit, irrespective of the angle of the bike seat tube.
You can also expect the Planet Bike Buck Fenders to perform well in the durability department. Constructed of all-weather polymer material, these fenders are sturdy and lightweight.
How do I know that these fenders are ideal for fat bikes? Well, these fenders have an ultra-wide profile and can easily provide ample protection from bike tires that range between 3 to 5 inches in width.
As for wheel size, the Planet Bike Buck Fenders are compatible with wheels that range from 26” to 29”. They even go with 700C wheels!
- Perfect solution for all types of weather condition
- Compatible with any fat bike wheel size and fat tyre width
- Durable and lightweight on account of its all-weather polymer material construction
- Easy to install
- This product/thing provides fantastic coverage from mud and water
- One of the best products/options for mudguards
- Some may face issues with the mounting options
- Not as stable as I expected
5. Mucky Nutz Fat Fenders
For the cash-strapped, the Mucky Nutz Fat Face/Fat Butt Fenders should prove to be a solid choice. They’re simple, light, and bang for your bucks.
As soon as you receive your package of the Mucky Nutz Fat Fenders, you’ll see that the fenders are flat in shape. Fret not, as they’re meant to be that way and you’d have to bend them along the fold lines.
Both the front (Mucky Nutz Fat Face) and rear (Fat Butt) fenders are to be secured to the bike with the attached Velcro straps. For added security, the rear fender can also be attached to the seat rails.
Moreover, if you find the width of the fenders too big for your fat tires, you can simply trim them with a pair of scissors.
However, for the price point it is available at, don’t expect the Mucky Nutz Fat Front/Rear Fenders to be the most durable around.
If you ride in gunk-heavy conditions on the regular and expect your fenders to accumulate large quantities of debris and mud, this product isn’t something for you.
Who is it for then? This fat tire product is for budget-conscious cyclists who want to keep the basic grime and spray off of themselves.
- Wide enough to accommodate any type of tire
- The rear fender attaches to the seat rails for added stability
- With bend points to facilitate easy width adjustments
- Easy to install
- One of the top fat tires/items for fat bike gear
- Not the most durable around
Want to be clean and dry when riding on extreme weather conditions? Make sure you splurge on fat bike fenders to keep the mud and grime away from both you and your bike.
Choose from any of the fender options I’ve presented you with as they’re all excellent in their own right.
However, if you want my advice, the Fatboard Fat Bike Fender/Mudguard Set manufactured by SKS-Germany is the answer. These rear and front fenders don’t slip off or lose positioning even when you ride in rough terrains and horrible conditions.
They’re easy to take off, too!
The Fatboard Fat Bike Fenders are constructed of high-quality materials, compatible with any fat bike with tire width up to 5 inches, and offer streamlined coverage from up and down the tires. Need I say more?