Are you thinking of getting a new cruiser bike to ride on the beach, to yoga class, or around town? There are many options on the market today, which can be confusing if you’ve never owned one of these bikes before.
Cruiser bikes typically have a thicker, sturdier frame matched with wider tires (also called balloon tires) and swept-back handlebars, all contributing to a comfortable and relaxing riding experience.
Additionally, cruiser bicycles for female riders should be relatively lightweight, have a feminine design and color, and, if possible, a rear rack.
Here’s a list of the best women´s cruiser bikes money can buy.
- At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Cruiser Bikes for Women
- Top 5 Best Cruiser Bikes for Women 2020 – Our Reviews:
- What to Consider When Buying a New Cruiser Bike?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- The Bottom Line
At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Cruiser Bikes for Women
If you’re in a hurry, you can jump straight into our top picks (these are the cruiser bikes for women that most people buy).
- Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Women 7-Speed Step-Through Cruiser Bike Top Pick
- Sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Single-Speed Beach Cruiser Runner-up
- Firmstrong Urban Lady Women’s Cruiser Bike Runner-up
Top 5 Best Cruiser Bikes for Women 2020 – Our Reviews:
1. Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Women 7-Speed Step-Through Cruiser Bike
This women´s 26-inch cruiser bike from EVRYjourney, weighing 38 pounds, is made of a lightweight, high-quality aluminum alloy. Perhaps the best thing about this bicycle is its low center of gravity and forward pedals, which allows you to sit upright while riding.
The bike’s seven-speed gearing and 1.95″ wide wheels let you ride on beaches and dirt trails alike. Additionally, the hand brakes and lightweight aluminum frame makes it easy to control the beach bike, ensuring a comfortable and smooth ride even on rough trails or long commutes.
This women´s cruiser bike comes with a rear carry rack for baskets and other accessories. Furthermore, the rear and front fenders shield you from splashes in the rain and debris.
The Sixthreezero EVRYjourney cruiser bicycle is suitable for women between 5′ to 6′ tall, and you can easily get on and off the bicycle thanks to the low swooping frame. The bike comes 80% preassembled.
- Front and rear fenders protect your clothes from splashes and debris
- Relatively lightweight at 38 lb
- Rear carry rack for baskets, groceries, and other items
- The 7-speed gear system is suitable for different terrains, so you can use it as a basic mountain bike
- Easy step-through frame
- Eighty percent preassembled so you can use simple tools to complete the job
- Switching gears might prove difficult for new riders
2. Sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Single-Speed Beach Cruiser
This single-speed 17″ steel frame women´s beach cruiser weighs 40 pounds and is great for riding on flat terrain.
A foot forward pedal and backswept handlebars let you assume an upright position as you ride, and the additional foam grips on the handlebars give extra comfort.
The 26-inch wheels with wide waffle tread tires make riding on city and beach roads comfortable and easy. The bike features a pedal-backward coaster style brake, fenders to prevent splashes, and a rear carry rack to fit baskets, crates, and panniers.
The frame’s design of this Sixthreezero women´s beach cruiser bicycle is curvy, giving it a pronounced feminine touch, and is suitable for women between 5′ to 6’4″ tall. There’s another model with 24-inch wheels that’s fit for ladies below 5′.
- Wide waffle tires make riding comfortable and easy
- The fenders protect you from splashes when you pedal through puddles or water
- You can carry some light load like groceries or books with the rear carry rack
- Foam grips make
- Arrives 80% preassembled
- The single-speed is only ideal for flat terrains, and you may need to ride standing to get over hills
- The rear coaster brakes aren’t so easy to use compared to hand brakes
3. Firmstrong Urban Lady Women’s Cruiser Bike
Firmstrong’s Urban Lady cruiser has a 15″ curvy steel frame and 26-inch wheels.
The one-speed gear is ideal for recreational riding on flat terrain around the town and beaches. Additionally, the 2.125″ wide wheels provide cushioning from any bumps in the road, while the coaster brakes bring the bicycle to a stop when you pedal backward.
You can reach speeds of up to 15 MPH on these ladies’ cruisers, and there’s enough room on the wide oversized seat to give a relaxing and pleasant riding experience. Additionally, the handlebars are fitted with synthetic leather grips for comfort, and while the bike doesn’t come with fenders in place, you can order them separately.
This women´s cruiser bike is available in different colors and suitable for ladies between 5′ and 6′. Besides the single-speed model, Firmstrong also offers multi-speed options for this bike.
- Available in multiple colors
- Durable steel frame
- Wide seat with springs and handlebar grips for comfortable sitting
- Wide tires to absorb any bumps in the road
- Doesn’t come preassembled, and you may need to take it to a bike shop
- The single-speed gearing isn’t ideal for uphill riding and rough terrains
- The pedal-backward coaster brake may be tricky at first
- There’s no rear carry rack to help carry groceries and similar light loads
4. Schwinn Perla Women’s Beach Cruiser Bike
The Perla beach cruiser bike is a step-through bike with an 18″ steel frame, a 26″ aluminum wheel, and a step-through height of 19″.
The frame is designed to support an upright right seating position over the wide adjustable quilted seat with rear shock-absorbing springs.
You can ride these beach cruisers over flat terrain, and the 7-speed twist shifters will get you over hills as well. Bumps aren’t a problem for the wide wheels, and you can always bring the bike to a stop with the alloy linear-pull brakes.
Front and rear fenders keep off the road dirt or splashes, and a rear rack if you need to carry groceries, books, or a laundry bag.
The Schwinn Perla beach cruise bike is available in pink, blue, yellow, and coral colors and is suitable for women between 5’4″ and 5’9″ tall.
- Front and rear fenders to keep off dirt and splashes
- Seven speeds are great for different terrains so that the bicycle can function like a road bike or a basic mountain bike.
- Available in different colors
- Adjustable seat
- Rear carry rack
- Doesn’t support a wide range of heights
5. Huffy Women’s Nel Lusso Cruiser Bike
Huffy Women’s Nel Lusso Cruiser is a steel-framed bicycle with 24″ wheels. It isn’t multi-speed and so is mainly suitable for flat terrain.
This bike has fenders to keep off debris as you ride, and it’s the only one on the list with a front basket. It also has a rear cargo rack and an additional beverage holder on the handlebar.
The wheels are wide enough at 2.125″, so bumps are better resisted to ensure a pleasant and smooth ride. Furthermore, the padded spring saddle and dual-density grip and pedals give additional comfort while riding, and when you want to stop, you only need to pedal backward to engage the coaster brakes.
- A front basket you can put your phone and keys in, and an easily accessible beverages holder
- Rear cargo rack for loads too big to fit in the front basket
- Rear and front fenders
- Fenders keep you dry and dirt free
- Padded spring saddle and wide wheels absorb any shock from bumps in the road
- The 24″ wheels may not be suitable for taller women
What to Consider When Buying a New Cruiser Bike?
Before settling to buy any of these womens cruiser bikes, there are some factors you should consider. These factors, such as frame, brakes, gears, weight, and accessories, will help you choose the best bike for your riding style and purpose.
The cruiser frame design should allow you to step through when getting on or off the bike and support a comfortable upright sitting position. If possible, it should be curvy to lend a female touch.
Cruise bicycles are frequently fitted with coaster style or rim brakes that aren’t so easy to use. These brakes can be inefficient, especially when descending a hill or riding on a sandy beach.
Handbrakes are the best option, as your hands are already on the handlebar, so you can quickly press the brakes.
Handlebar and Saddle
The handlebar on beach cruisers should always be back-swept for a comfortable upright sitting position. Handlebars fitted with foam grips are more comfortable on the palms for longer rides.
Wider saddles with padding and springs are comfy and reduce shock, a desirable feature if you want to go on long rides.
It’s common to see single gears on cruise bikes, which will serve well if you only wish to ride on flat terrains. However, if you want to go on hilly terrains, you’ll need a bike with more than one gear.
Cruisers aren’t the lightest of bikes, and their weight can affect your ability to propel and steer them, especially when riding on beach sand. So, pick a lightweight bike, especially if you’re a petite woman.
Companies now make beach cruiser bikes with many accessories such as beverage and phone holders, front baskets, bicycle bells, carry racks, and fenders.
The essential accessories to have on beach cruisers are the fenders and carry rack, so choose a bike that has both.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Are cruiser bikes fast?
Unlike road bikes, beach cruiser bikes aren’t fast; they’re perhaps the slowest type of bicycles on account of their greater weight, larger wheels, and mostly one-speed gears, so even the best ones won’t work as a speed bike.
However, some models (sometimes called speed cruisers) have up to 21-speed gears and can go as fast as 30 MPH. so you can ride fast on a speed cruiser when commuting in the beach town.
Q2: What’s the difference between cruiser bikes and mountain bikes?
People might mistake a beach cruiser bicycle for mountain bikes as they both have large wheels. The major difference between these two kinds of bikes is the number of gears they have.
Mountain bikes usually have three gears at the front and 10 at the back. On the other hand, a beach cruiser bicycle rarely has gears at the front, though it may have a multi-speed gear on the rear wheel.
Other differences are in the handlebars and brakes, as mountain bikes never have a coaster brake or backswept handlebars.
The Bottom Line
While all five beach cruiser bikes are great and designed with the female body weight ratio in mind, one must be the best.
The EVRYjourney women bike from Sixthree is the best on this list of recommended cruiser bikes because of its many pros and few cons.
It weighs the least at 38 pounds, so it’s easiest to ride. The seven-speed gearing will take you over different terrains and get you moderate hills and inclines.
Additionally, the bike has handbrakes instead of the inefficient coaster brakes. It has rear and front fenders to keep you dry and keep off debris.
Finally, the back carry rack also comes in handy when going grocery shopping.